With the impending price markdown of the PSP (it can already be purchased reconditioned for $145); I wonder, is this now a better deal than a GP2X?
Granted, the PSP has some good things going:
- There are actual commercial games from major publishers developed for it (some of them pretty good according to reviews)
- The screen is 16:9 and of better quality than the GP2X's
- Technologically speaking, it's got more "power under the hood"
- It's easier to purchase (just walk in to a store and get it)
- Running homebrew, emulation and backups is easy
- Apparently, the emulation scene is pretty healthy (MAME owns I hear)
- Memorysticks are not that expensive anymore and there are cheaper clones out there
- In some cases, a PSP is actually cheaper than a GP2X
It's been a while since I heard anything new going with the GP2X and it seems to be a european thing; on the contrary, the PSP is all over the news (albeit they're not always positive)
I'm afraid that if I bought a GP2X instead of a PSP, I could end up with an obsolete handheld sooner than with a PSP.
Owners of GP2X, PSP or both... please recommend. My main uses for this kind of handheld would be: Watch movies, play MP3 files, homebrew and emulation.
Also, feel free to object some of my previous statements if they're inaccurate.