Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm swearing off soda...Help me pick an alternative drink

I'm swearing off soda...Help me pick an alternative drink

I've been drinking Coke and Pepsi since I as a kid and I think I've had my fill of soda's carbonated way. Pretty much every meal I eat outside breakfast involves either of these two brands of soft drink. Lately I've gotten back into drinking birch beer again after not having it for a very long time and although it contains carbonated water, I prefer its taste and it lacks caffene which is good for me since I am borderline hypertension. Not to mention soda seems to be really taking a number on my poor stomach. I need something drinkable and healthier than soda but is actually edible.

For the record I am not a big fan of ice tea (Although I love hot tea but obviously not as a usual beverage, especially in the 90+ degree summer) and considered water but sometimes I need some flavor. Oh and before all the comedians arrive I am not a beer drinker.

Please post some suggestions here.

A pic of birch beer since its kind of geographical thing, its kinda like root beer:

Chris Hentschel
    XBOX Live Gamertag: Womp73| iOS GameCenter: Wompratz | Follow me on Twitter: lord_wompus | Nintendo 3DS Friend Code:4081-5550-3712

Pure premium Tropicana orange "no bits". i love this stuff and drink around 1 litre a day.

Phoenix, Arizona, United States, 105540216147364, Phoenix, Arizona
    When I feel the need to ditch soda (which happens a couple of times a year), I tend to gravitate toward pure juices (you can get diet orange juice if you're concerned with sugars) and Crystal Light powdered add-ins. They have 'single use' packets (pricey as hell) and it's cheaper to just get the 2 quart ones and partition it yourself (I can eyeball a 32oz'er now).

The tricks with Crystal Light:

1) Watch for a sale or close out of a flavor to avoid paying greater than soda price for it.
    2) Dilute the crap out of it. If you go with the standard mixture (and you're a diet soda drinker) it is going to be WAY the hell too sweet for you. I dillute up to 50% ... I just want some FLAVOR in my water (not lemon, not lime) - I don't want to feel like I'm drinking Kool-Aid.
    3) If you're new to Crystal Light, try ALL the flavors. You could be turned off of one, and really LOVE another one. Sunrise is GREAT ... it's like drinking TANG. They have a Ruby one now too. Fantastic. I really enjoy the teas too - Peach Tea flavor is great.
    Shane R. Monroe; Father, Husband, Ordinary Guy
    Host, RetroGaming Radio & Passenger Seat Radio - Editor, Review Lagoon
    Google+: Shane R. Monroe / RetroGaming Radio / Passenger Seat Radio / Green Robot Gamer / Directory Opus
    Twitter: Shane R. Monroe / RetroGaming Radio / Review Lagoon / Green Robot Gamer
    "Consider the improbable is possible"

Phoenix, Arizona, United States, 105540216147364, Phoenix, Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by bigchris
    Pure premium Tropicana orange "no bits". i love this stuff and drink around 1 litre a day.
    LOTS 'O PULP for me ... Man, I love pulpy as HELL orange juice.
    Shane R. Monroe; Father, Husband, Ordinary Guy
    Host, RetroGaming Radio & Passenger Seat Radio - Editor, Review Lagoon
    Google+: Shane R. Monroe / RetroGaming Radio / Passenger Seat Radio / Green Robot Gamer / Directory Opus
    Twitter: Shane R. Monroe / RetroGaming Radio / Review Lagoon / Green Robot Gamer
    "Consider the improbable is possible"

I can't stand pulp, orange juice on a regular basis will also annihilate your stomach no worse than soda would either.

Someone else suggested Crystal Light as well, maybe I'll give it a shot. I have no problem with water but sometimes I need SOME taste.
    Chris Hentschel
    XBOX Live Gamertag: Womp73| iOS GameCenter: Wompratz | Follow me on Twitter: lord_wompus | Nintendo 3DS Friend Code:4081-5550-3712

The only thing I drink other than soda is Apple Juice. Try that.

Robinsons Grape and Melon cordial, You'll thank me later.
    "Wonderful innovative titles are 'sometimes' ignored [by consumers], while some repetitive titles with minor improvements in game play and graphics provide much better returns to the games publishers,"

What about Minute Maid Lemonade Light? Only 5 calories and it comes packed in 12 oz. cans

Try good 'ole bottled water, man. If you don't like the carbonated waters, there are some good non-carbonated flavored waters out there as well. The Walmart brand is pretty good!
    ------------------------------------------
    Google+: alexjlopezWMR, Twitter: alexjlopezMW
    RetroGaming Radio, ReviewLagoon. MonroeWorld
    NNID: AlexJLopez, 3DS FC: 1719-3176-8970

I haven't had a carbonated beverage since I was about 19. I'm 33 now. I don't drink alcohol either. Never have, never will. I don't touch coffee or any coffee-like substances. Bottom line, I don't like drinking too much crap and I don't like drinking calories. That leaves me with teas, milk, juices and the occasional sugar juices, to go along with lots and lots of water. Do I feel like I'm missing anything? Absolutely not.

There are plenty of great smoothies and shakes to treat yourself and plenty of delicious juices and teas of all varieties and consistencies. The good news is that unlike when I gave up soda all those years ago, you almost never are without alternative options to drink. Society's palette has seemed to have evolved quite a bit...
    Books | Film | YouTube
    Armchair Arcade | Myth Core | Collection
    Xbox 360 Gamertag: billlog | Wii | PS3: ArmchairArcade