Thread: Loved Mass Effect, Fallout, Skyrim. Thinking of visiting Dragon Age Origins.Too late?

Loved Mass Effect, Fallout, Skyrim. Thinking of visiting Dragon Age Origins.Too late?

Hey guys. Just finished Mass Effect 3. Powered through the game as I am now abroad on a work trip and I wanted to finish ME3 so as to avoid the continuing discussion regarding the ending. As an aside, GREAT game.

I've had my eye on Dragon Age Origins Ultimate edition for some time. $19.96 on Amazon with all the DLC.
    Anyone play? Is it "too late" to go back and check the game out because it may not have aged well?
    Enjoyable game? Long game? I don't want to get involved in a huge time suck. 20-40 hours is the sweet spot.

If I do try out the game, I'm trying to decide between the 360 and PS3 version. I Googled which version is better and, you can imagine, every discussion thread I read turned into a fanboy war. My preferred platform is 360 but if the PS3 version is better then I am good with that.

Thanks guys.

Chad
    Narrator: A shadow shall fall over the universe, and evil will grow in its path, and death will come from the skies.

The game has aged fine. Definite Game of Thrones vibe.

It's the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. The combat is complicated and quite difficult on the consoles. I think the PC version would be ideal. If you do get the console version, make sure to put that battle menu on toggle rather than hold. That's what made the difference for me.

For Xbox360 vs. PS3:

"Gamespot review (XBox 360 version) “Textures are highly compressed and colors are washed out, though the upside is that this version maintains a smoother frame rate than on the PlayStation 3, where things might get jittery when swiveling the camera around. The PlayStation 3 version features higher-quality textures than those on the Xbox 360, better color saturation, smoother facial animations, and shorter load times. Minor visual hiccups, like corpses that disappear and reappear, are a bit more common on the PS3, however.”

I'd go with the PS3 version. Framerate isn't too important for non-twitch games and the quicker load times are a good plus.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll probably go with the PS3 version.
    What's the difference between toggle and hold? Holding down a button while choosing one of the options?

Thanks!

Chad
    Narrator: A shadow shall fall over the universe, and evil will grow in its path, and death will come from the skies.

Though it appears real-time, the game is turn-based and requires you to pull up a menu to choose actions. I found keeping my finger on the menu button to be extremely unpleasant as the battles require a certain amount of strategy.