Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Passenger Seat Radio Episode 3/12/2012 Now Available!

Phoenix, Arizona, United States, 105540216147364, Phoenix, Arizona
    4:3 is not square ... but it is damn close. Don't challenge my knowledge on screen ratios...

As for "pan & scan", they were talking about this VERY THING with regards to the new iPad and display - in order to take advantage of it (I don't recall the article, but they were using screens of Pirates of the Carribean). I didn't pull that out of my ass. And P&S was the defacto standard for presenting widescreen content on consumer playback devices until everyone (other than Apple) went widescreen.

And .. who holds a device single handed while they are watching 42 to 90 minutes of media? I think ANY 10" tablet would be uncomfortable holding in one hand (even two hands) for 90 minutes.
    Shane R. Monroe; Father, Husband, Ordinary Guy
    Host, RetroGaming Radio & Passenger Seat Radio - Editor, Review Lagoon
    Google+: Shane R. Monroe / RetroGaming Radio / Passenger Seat Radio / Green Robot Gamer / Directory Opus
    Twitter: Shane R. Monroe / RetroGaming Radio / Review Lagoon / Green Robot Gamer
    "Consider the improbable is possible"

It's letter-boxed on the iPad. It's not that big of a deal. Oddly enough, even when I rent widescreen content on my Asus Transformer, it still letter-boxes it. So it looks the same. And regardless, the iPad is not a square, so calling it such is just not accurate. The device is a pretty conservative rectangle. If it wasn't, there'd be no difference between portrait or landscape. You're right that the iPad is not widescreen, but you are sort of blowing it out of proportion. I appreciate that you are a hardcore moviephile though and therefore are not in the majority on this matter. So I get where you're coming from. But you describing the iPad experience is like Fox News telling me they are fair and balanced. It's taken with a tongue in cheek because your hatred of the brand clouds your ability to really give the device a fair shake. Similarly, as you've trashed the whole idea of resolution now that the retina ipad is out, I assume that you'll remain firm in your conviction a few months from now when a new Asus tablet surpasses the iPad's resolution? Will resolution suddenly be "great" then?

Noone holds the device consistently with one hand, I'm referring to generally picking it up and handling it. It's not a big deal, but it's a noticeable weight difference on the long end.
    Become a fan of The Retro Machine on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pa...e/121452225655

See us on Video Masters TV @ www.videomasterstv.com

Alright - I'm already tired of this. I posted on G+ the article about them considering PAN AND SCANNING movies because of the shitty aspect ratio of the new iPad. THAT IS NOT THE SAME AS LETTERBOXING. Jesus, I can't believe we keep going back and forth with this shit.

First, the article:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/new...-content/20082

Second, here is what movies will look like:

Letterboxing on ANY device occurs when the device playing back is NOT the same aspect ratio as the original media.

The DEGREE of letterboxing (or MATTING if going the other way) changes as the screen gets FURTHER AWAY from the OAR.

The iPad is 4:3 aspect ratio. Fine IT ISN'T A PERFECT SQUARE. However the concept of 4:3 being CALLED square is NOT new and NOT my invention. Non-widescreen TVs have long been called "square TVs" (Google search it if you like).

The world went through a PARADIGM SHIFT in the last decade. The FCC *MANDATED* high definition, 16x9 transmission of OTA video. P&S full screen (being 4:3 - aka "for square TVs") video has been dead for some time. Blockbuster went so far as to MARK SPECIAL VIDEOS as "TV friendly" or "full screen" (4:3 square TV) versions for those with DVD players and "square TVs".

All current media is shot in widescreen; typically 1.85:1 for television and 1.85:1 - 2.35:1 for film - namely because most people have 16x9 TVs and 1.85:1 video "perfectly" fits modern widescreen TVs. Films presented in 1.85:1 will display WITHOUT BARS on the Asus Transformer and without bars on modern televisions.

Films presented in 2.35:1 will have minor bars on the Transformer or true 16x9 devices. On a 4:3 square TV - or the all powerful iPad - the letterboxing is ASTOUNDING - dropping over 40% of the usable screen resolution. Or you can give up 40% of the film with Pan & Scan.

Consuming modern content on a 16x9 device is superior to consuming modern content on a 4:3 device - I don't give a shit how many pixels it has - I care about getting the most, closest to OAR as possible with the least sacrifice in screen usage. The iPad is the worst device possible for this.

As for caring about resolution? I didn't start that pissing match. It was Team Apple that said that the higher resolution of Android tablets didn't matter (of course until THEY did it - now it means EVERYTHING). The difference between Team Android over here is that if and when an Android's resolution goes behind 1080p, I'll consider it as worthless as I do with Apple products.

If I sound like I'm ranting? It is to level the playing field from the goddamn moonbeam, rainbow and unicorn confetti Apple crowd that believes the world begins anew with every moderate advancement in an Apple product. SOMEONE has to tip the scales BACK to some semblence of sanity. To counter the unbelievable bullshit on the "Apple Left", someone has to take that hard "Android Right". That will be me.

Here, let me present this to you. I'll stop bitching and whining about the iPad's shitty AR the minute Apple decides that SINCE 4:3 is the wave of the future, all Apple monitors will immediately CEASE being widescreen and go to 4:3 at greater than 1080p resolution. It's OBVIOUSLY superior. I bet their Apple TV interface is optimized for ... 4:3? Hell no. Widescreen.

Now to go calm down in the shower ...
    Google+: Shane R. Monroe / RetroGaming Radio / Passenger Seat Radio / Green Robot Gamer / Directory Opus
    Twitter: Shane R. Monroe / RetroGaming Radio / Review Lagoon / Green Robot Gamer

Here is a good look at iPad aspect ratios.

Yeah, here is the "minor letterboxing" on a 4:3 screen with a 2.35:1 film:

HARDLY noticable ... BARELY worth mentioning ... BAH .. nothing to see here.

.. and here is letterboxing of a 2.35:1 on a 16x9 screen (like the Transformer):

Small black bars are acceptable, not those huge ones.
    GamerTag - SteamID - GameCenterID: TripHamer
    Tripped the hammer...it fell down!

Quote Originally Posted by TripHamer View Post
    Small black bars are acceptable, not those huge ones.
    Which is exactly why they are investigating P&S for the iPad. People complain about bars. They DON'T apparently complain about losing 40% of the film.