Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Wii U Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ChairoNoMe View Post
    The sad thing is that while this was unveiled I was watching it on my phone. The only stream that I could find were some game bloggers with a typical anti-Nintendo bias. And they chose to give their live commentary when the speakers were talking. They were convinced the 3DS was dead because of the announcement of the Sony Vita.
    Depends on how you look at it. Obviously, in 3D ability, the 3DS is king.....but specs for specs.......the Vita shows more promise. Both systems will have their core audiences, however, at the same price point, I don't think the 3DS will be able to hold on....as well. But it will probably be at least a year into the Vita's life cycle before that really starts to show.
    GamerTag - SteamID - GameCenterID: TripHamer
    Tripped the hammer...it fell down!

Quote Originally Posted by ChairoNoMe View Post
    It seems that Nintendo has a way to go before winning over these people. Maybe it doesn't matter.
    It probably doesn't, since the hardcore are a very fickle bunch. They're like hot chicks who are only interested in the guy with the biggest bankroll. You can never please that kind of crowd for very long. As I said before, as soon as the 720 and PS4 are out, they'll be done with the WiiU. And if it doesn't have better visuals than either the 360 or PS3, they probably won't even bother with it.

Note: I'm not dissing the console myself. Although I'm not impressed with any of the games I've seen so far, I thought the hardware was different enough to stand out.

As for the 3DS/Vita, even the Giantbomb guys were like 'meh' on both of them, and said this is probably the last generation of pure gaming handhelds that we're going to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon57 View Post
    That's kinda strange...have they been taking marketing lessons from Sony? So no actually gameplay footage from the U I guess...just that bird demo?

I'm finding that to get an unspoiled opinion about WiiU, look no further than tech sites who aren't as biased, bratty, and cynical as their game blog counterparts. Some of the most enthusiastic hands-on accounts I've read have come from sites like Engadget, and this one from Kotaku's sister site Gizmodo, who had some pretty surprising things to say about WiiU in this article:

Nintendo Wii U Hands On: An Entirely Different Way to See Things

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmodo
    It looks like the product of a fevered fanboy wetdream. A 6.2-inch touchscreen, surrounded by dual analog sticks and oodles of buttons. Like the portable hardcore gamers wish Nintendo made. But it's the most incredible controller ever.
    ---
    The controller is light. Not in a way that's like, "Oh, I'm glad it's not too heavy," but more "this feels like a plastic mockup." It's almost unbelievable there's a working touchscreen and full wireless powers inside. The lightness is what makes it work though, what makes this massive controller feel incredibly comfortable and totally natural. The ergonomics are nigh perfect.
    ---
    That's something no controller's ever offered before: The possibility of entirely different viewpoint, the ability to see something in a game that no one else sees, to engage different players in completely different ways. A screen is by definition a blank canvas, a place that be inscribed with anything. Which means there's basically limitless potential in the Wii U and its controller, just waiting to be exploited. Developers can use that space for whatever they want, whether it's an alternative view or secondary action to the main game, extra info, a straight-up mirror, or anything else they can think of that'll take advantage of the fact they now have another window to show players whatever they want, completely independent of the TV.
    ---
    We haven't even seen the beginning of what this thing is capable of, but one thing's clear today: It works, and it's a hell of a lot of fun.
    ------------------------------------------
    Google+: alexjlopezWMR, Twitter: alexjlopezMW
    RetroGaming Radio, ReviewLagoon. MonroeWorld
    NNID: AlexJLopez, 3DS FC: 1719-3176-8970

Gimme a few specs....the price and show me the games.

The double-edged sword on this thing is the resistive touch screen. People are reporting that it does work with finger taps, but a capacitive touch screen would have opened up so many possibilities. I guess that would have pushed the price up and outside of a realistic situation though.

People are saying the visual quality of the screen is great though.

Quote Originally Posted by alexjlopez View Post
    People are reporting that it does work with finger taps, but a capacitive touch screen would have opened up so many possibilities. I guess that would have pushed the price up and outside of a realistic situation though.
    It also wouldn't have been as precise. One question I have is that, if you are supposedly able to play games on the controller screen when the TV is not on, how the hell does that work if the controller screen is being used as a secondary display?

Confirmed via the official fact sheet--in addition to onboard memory and SD cards, WiiU will support storage via the addition of USB hard drives.