So, over the Thanksgiving weekend, I took a stab at the DroidX Fission Custom ROM. What's funny is - this is really more of a NON-ROM than a new ROM.
This is the ULTIMATE "vanilla" Android Froyo 2.2 for the Droid X (there is a Droid 2 version also).
That's right ... No Blur. No Sense. No bloated ass Verizon apps. No bullshit. A complete vanilla Android OS.
Here is where you get the ROM: (read up on it too)
At some point, I want to completely document my experiences, but for now - I'll just post this along with some items I ran into.
1) This doesn't have Gmail, Voice, Maps, etc. This is BAREBONES without Google or Verizon apps. Of course, you can get these from the market. No biggie.
2) I had the OTA 2.2 installed. If you have anything else, you'll probably have to SBF back to stock, then put this on.
3) You'll have to install Koush's DroidX Recovery Boot tool to use this.
4) Once installed, you'll probably be missing a couple of things you've taken for granted - like the Multi-Touch Keyboard, Swype and the DroidX Camera. These can be found in a new folder on your SD card called FISSION/ADD_ON. Boot to recovery, install from zip from sd card, select one of these zip files, and your tools are BACK.
5) You'll probably want the DX's fab Camera back ... Get that ZIP file here:
6) Throw them a few bucks as a donation, and they will give you a secret fileshare location that will net you the latest ROMs, addons, and tools - as well as a Fission Rom Manager app for your Droid to help you get stuff. I tossed 'em $10 for their efforts.
7) The ONLY thing I'm missing that I want back is the News widget that comes stock on the Droid X. I spent the weekend trying to find a ZIP to reinstall it as well as trying to find a suitable replacement - so far FeedR is the closest app I can find and I'm still not happy with it. The search continues.
Anyway - that's it for now. It's HELLA fast, amazing piece of kit. You can always go back later - if it sounds interesting, I'd recommend a toss at it.
Be happy to answer any questions too.