Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Nuked' posts on Usenet

Yeah, I was mainly interested to see if other Giganews subscribers are seeing the same thing, or if it was just me. I swear those files were there last night.

Edit: n/m, I think this probably answers my question:
    http://www.giganews.com/legal/dmca.html

What will Giganews do with a proper Notice?

Once we have proper identification of the infringing material through the Message-IDs, and a well formed DMCA Notice, we will remove all identified infringing material forthwith. In the process of removing the material, we will analyze each article to determine if it was posted by a Giganews customer, and if it was so posted we will initiate our "Two Strikes and You're Out Policy" for that customer. Lastly, we will respond via email to your Notice informing you that we have deleted the materials you have identified.
    Since those files are on Astraweb, I might just have to fork over $10 for 25GB to get the missing parts. That would be about as cheap as driving 15 miles to the nearest Blockbuster to rent it, and less time-consuming lol
    Last edited by WorknMan; 11-16-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Yeah man.. I had a $10 astraweb account for literally years. I paid for 10 bucks one time for my siblings to use occasionally and it lasted forever.. which is why I eventually switched back to them only the other month. When I realized their retention and price beat Newshosting I was wondering why the heck I was staying with them.

But that really sucks about the censorship/policing.. I mean REALLY sucks. It's pretty new to me actually and I wonder how much more pervasive it will become. Might be something to keep an eye out for as it seems to be creeping in slowly under everyone's nose.

Yeah, it's new to me too. That's why I expressed so much shock when it happened Luckily for me though, I usually don't download the kind of stuff that the content police would care much about. Guess that's why I haven't ran into it until now.

Hold that Astraweb thought.. I just downloaded the full thing and there's damaged files and not enough PAR's for it. Might be better off searching a torrents site.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane R. Monroe View Post
    Plenty of bad posts on Usenet.

I look at usenet as a collection of global eMail addresses that anyone can do anything on.
    GamerTag - SteamID - GameCenterID: TripHamer
    Tripped the hammer...it fell down!

Phoenix, Arizona, United States, 105540216147364, Phoenix, Arizona
    Yeah ... I might have been a bit hasty. It would seem Giganews is indeed offering up some self-censorship. Of course, they won't comment on it to anyone.

We seem to have a new cat and mouse game .. much like the old youTube days. How long can content stay on before:

1) It gets removed
    2) Gets reuploaded
    3) Wash rinse repeat

It would seem Fable 3 falls into this mode. Originally it was there and working - now, 99% of the versions on Giganews are gone. You CAN find it - if you dig around in odd groups with no descriptions on the posts.

So, it would seem Giganews will happily remove INSTANCES as directed - but it's not a "kill xxxxxx.rar" across the board.

Sigh ... Figure it out man .. you're not going to stop this stuff from happening. Fix piracy another way.
    Shane R. Monroe; Father, Husband, Ordinary Guy
    Host, RetroGaming Radio & Passenger Seat Radio - Editor, Review Lagoon
    Google+: Shane R. Monroe / RetroGaming Radio / Passenger Seat Radio / Green Robot Gamer / Directory Opus
    Twitter: Shane R. Monroe / RetroGaming Radio / Review Lagoon / Green Robot Gamer
    "Consider the improbable is possible"

Yeah, I learned a valuable lesson... if you want something that everybody and their grandma is after, you better grab it quick Also, Astraweb 25gb for $10 (or a similar service where you pay by the GB instead of the month) wouldn't hurt to have on standby either. Although I found out very quickly that they're not as robust as Giganews, and I heard they delete posts too.

I guess posting an .nzb file with the name of the item your posting and then posting the actual stuff with a cryptic file name and subject name will help....a little.
    GamerTag - SteamID - GameCenterID: TripHamer
    Tripped the hammer...it fell down!